Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cubed like cheese


Sometime in the 70s, or maybe 80s, I can't read the writing in the note, but in any case, my grandmother made cookbooks for my mom and my aunt full of favorite family recipes. She typed each recipe on a typewriter and pasted them into a recipe saver album with sticky pages with clear plastic covers. My mom's copy has been dilapidated since I started my baking obsession in the fourth grade. The page with our favorite chocolate frosting and Italian cream cake popped out of the rings long ago. The glue is no longer sticky and turned a brownish color. My mom always talked about retyping everything, but I beat her to it and revised it as a Christmas present for the whole family. I added some new recipes, scanned parts of the original, and threw in pictures. In the note in the original cookbook, Grandma Sis wrote a note, ending on "...at least it was made with love." I did the same with my update and considered my book a superscript two to her book. I started this blog to further spread my family's favorite foods (even the ones I hate) and get new ones from people to try and cube my grandmother's book, because I've never forgotten that first time she let me crack the egg for the oatmeal cookies. And she only snickered when it ended up on the floor.

1 comment:

Donna Edgley said...

I never knew about the egg and the oatmeal cookies. Grandmas are the best and Grandma Sis was right up there. Who knew our most picky eater would become our most adventurous one. Love ya mom